Gluten-Free Baked Stuffing
Free of: gluten and top allergens (for dairy-free, use canola oil)
- 8 cups (2 L) 1-inch cubes of gluten-free [and allergy-friendly] bread of choice
- 4 celery ribs
- 4 medium onions, peeled
- 1 cup (250 mL) canola oil or butter
- 1 recipe breakfast sausage (page 70 of cookbook) or 1 pound sausage of choice*
- 2 cups (475 mL) turkey or chicken broth [look for gf, allergy-friendly brands]
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 2 tsp rubbed sage
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- To toast the bread cubes, spread on a half sheet pan and bake in a 325° F oven until dry, about 30 minutes. Reserve and let cool.
- Chop the celery and onions by hand, or else chop coarsely and place in the work bowl of a large-capacity food processor fitted with the steel blade and pulse in batches to chop.
- Over medium heat in a 12-inch skillet, heat the canola oil or butter. Add the celery and onions and cook, stirring, until translucent and tender, but not browned. Remove the pan from the heat. Let the vegetables cool.
- Meanwhile, spray a 10-to 12-inch skillet with non-stick cooking spray. Heat over high heat. Add the sausage and sauté, breaking up the clumps with a spatula, until browned. Remove the pan from the heat. Let the sausage cool.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F
- Place the vegetables and sausage in a 6-quart bowl. Stir to mix. Add the chicken broth and the dried parsley, sage, poultry seasoning, and salt. Add the toasted bread cubes and stir gently with a silicone spatula to mix.
- Transfer the stuffing to a 9 by 13 by 2-inch baking dish lightly sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Cover with foil sprayed on one side with non-stick cooking spray, sprayed side down. Bake until cooked through, 30 to 35 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes to brown the top.
*AL editor’s note: Always check with your butcher or grocer to find safe sausages. Gluten can be used as a filler in some sausages, while others can contain dairy or soy.
- Add 1 cup of chopped mushrooms to the vegetable mixture before sautéing.
- Add 1 cup of chopped Granny Smith apples to the vegetable mixture before sautéing.
- For a meatless stuffing, omit the sausage.
*Source Allergic Living Magazine