Makes 6 servings
Free of: Gluten and all top allergens
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 jalapeno or serrano chili pepper, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) firmly packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tsp ground cumin*
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt, plus additional as needed freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) fresh-squeezed lime juice (2 limes)
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) fresh squeezed orange juice (1 orange)
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) olive oil
- 2 lb flap steak or skirt steak
- For the marinade, turn food processor on and drop in garlic then chili pepper to finely chop. Turn processor off, add cilantro and pulse a few times until chopped. Add cumin, oregano, chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt and a few turns of pepper and turn processor on. With machine running, pour in juices, vinegar and honey. Slowly add oil in a steady stream until pureed.
- Put steak in a shallow ceramic or glass baking dish. Add marinade and turn streak to coat evenly on all sides. Cover and refrigerate 1 to 8 hours.
- Heat grill on high and brush grates with oil
- Remove meat from marinade letting excess drip off. Lightly season both sides of meat with salt and pepper. Grill 3-4 minutes per side, lid closed, for medium rare. A thermometer inserted horizontally into the steak should read 140°F and it will have a deep pink center. For medium, cook 1-2 minutes more, lid closed.
- Remove meat to a cutting board and let rest 5 minutes. Thinly slice against the grain.
Soft Tacos: Heath 12 gluten-free soft corn tortillas on grill, 30 seconds per side. Double up tortillas on 6 plates and top with cooked Carne Asada strips
Garnish with condiments of choice, such as minced white onion, dairy-free cheese alternative shreds, pico de gallo or salsa, shredded lettuce, guacamole or diced avocado and coarsely chopped cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.