Makes: 4 mini loafs
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- 1 1/3 cups (320 mL) brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) potato starch
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) tapioca starch
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) buckwheat flour
- 2 tsp xanthan gum
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup (160 mL) packed brown sugar
- 1 15 oz can pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) grapeseed; rice bran or canola oil
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) orange juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup (160 mL) dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 325° F. Grease 4 mini loaf pans.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, starches, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt.
- In a large bowl, blend sugar, pumpkin, oil, maple syrup, juice and vanilla with a hand mixer. Add flour mixture and briefly mix until smooth. The batter will be somewhat thick. Stir in cranberries
- Divide batter among prepared pans, smoothing out tops (they will rise, but keep shape). Bake 45-55 minutes, until firm to touch and bread pulls slightly away from pan sides. A toothpick inserted into a loaf may yield a few small crumbs.
- Let loaves cool 10 minutes in pan. Remove and cool completely on a wire rack.
Vanilla Spice Icing Option:
Sift 1 1/2 cup powdered confectioner’s sugar into a medium bowl. Whisk in 1 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened dairy-free milk alternative, 1 tablespoon dairy-free soy-free buttery spread, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, and pinch of salt. Whisk in additional milk alternative, 1/2 teaspoon at a time, until desire drizzly consistency is reached. When loaves are completely cool, place on serving platter and drizzle with icing.
If you suspect you or a loved one has food allergies, call Allergy SA at (210) 616-0882 to schedule an appointment with a board-certified allergist. Same day appointments are available.
*Source: Alisa Fleming – Allergic Living Magazine http://allergicliving.com/2015/11/10/gluten-free-cranberry-pumpkin-bread/