- Oct 20, 2016
Halloween is just around the corner and this year we would like to make it safe and enjoyable for all, including those with food allergies. Here are some tips for an allergy-friendly Halloween:
If your child has food allergies:
- Host a Halloween gathering with non-food items such as glow sticks, bracelets, pencils, bubbles, spider rings, vampire fangs and bookmarks.
- Trick-or-treat with your child to monitor what items they are receiving.
- Play it safe and do not allow your child to consume unlabeled food items.
- Be prepared with your EpiPen® Auto-injector in the event of an emergency.
If your child does not have food allergies you can still make Halloween inclusive for all trick-or-treaters by joining the Teal Pumpkin Project® and following these tips:
- Place a teal pumpkin outside of your house to indicate that you are offering non-food items such as bracelets, stickers, glow sticks, and spider rings.
- Give trick-or-treaters the option of a candy or a non-food item for those with food allergies.
If you suspect your child has food allergies, please call AllergySA at (210) 616-0882 to schedule an appointment with a board-certified allergist. Same day appointments are available.