- May 22, 2016
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- 1 cup garnet yams (1 large yam or 2 small), washed
- 14 oz carrots (approximately 4 medium carrots)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp + 1/2 tsp kosher salt, divided
- 2 1/2 cups (600 mL) dry gluten-free elbow pasta
- 2 cups (475 mL) plain rice milk
- 8 oz (about 2 cups) cheddar-style shreds, such as Daiya
- 1 cup (250 mL) frozen peas, thawed
- 1/8 tsp ground white pepper
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Place yams on baking sheet lined with foil or parchment paper. Bake 45-65 minutes, until done.
- Wash, trim and peel carrots. Roll cut (see Recipe Notes at end), until you have about 2 cups of cut carrots. Toss carrots with olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Spread out on parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake in oven, along with yams, for 20 minutes or until tender. Remove from oven and set aside.
- While vegetables bake, cook pasta according to manufacturer’s instructions. When pasta is al dente, drain and rinse under cold water and set aside. You should have 5 cups of cooked pasta.
- Peel yams, then place in a mixing bowl. Mash with a potato masher or fork.
- In a medium saucepan, combine rice milk and 1 cup of mashed yam. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, whisking occasionally.
- Reduce heat to low; add cheddar-style shreds and whisk frequently until melted, about 5 minutes.
- Add carrots and peas and cook 1 minute. Add pasta and cook for an additional minute. Add remaining salt and white pepper. Stir to combine. Turn off heat and let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
- To roll-cut, place a peeled carrot on a cutting board. Make a diagonal cut to remove stem end. Holding the knife at a 45-degree angle, make the first cut. Roll carrot a half turn, keeping knife at same angle, and make another cut. Repeat with all carrots.
- Roasted carrots elevate this dish. But to save time, you can use 2 cups of mixed frozen peas and carrots.
- If you don’t like vegetables in your macaroni, simply omit and increased cooked pasta to 6 cups.